The federal government is considering whether to extend plans to toughen pipeline reviews to include Enbridge’s multi-billion dollar Line 3 replacement project, said a federal spokeswoman on Friday in a statement.
The comments signal that a third major pipeline project under review could also face additional scrutiny that was promised earlier this week for separate projects proposed by TransCanada Corp and Kinder Morgan. The government announced this week it would toughen pipeline safety rules for those two ongoing reviews, while at the same time ensuring that neither proponent would be required to resubmit its application.
Canada’s pipeline regulator, the National Energy Board, is scheduled to issue its final recommendations on the Enbridge project before May 4, 2016.
“As Enbridge’s Line 3 Oil Pipeline replacement is in its final stages, the government will be reviewing the Line 3 process to determine if the time remaining is sufficient to allow for the principles to be taken into account, including to more fully hear the views of Indigenous Peoples and Canadians, and to assess the greenhouse gas emissions associated with the project,” said Angela Kokkinos, a spokeswoman at Natural Resources Canada.
The Line 3 replacement proposal, if approved, would allow Enbridge to modernize, widen and increase the capacity of the existing pipeline to 760,000 barrels per day between Hardisty, Alberta and Superior, Wisconsin. This is nearly double its current capacity due to existing pressure restrictions imposed for safety reasons.
Enbridge has said that the project, estimated to cost about $7.5 billion, is the largest project in its history.
Gaile Whelan Enns, director of Manitoba Wildlands, a research and conservation group, said that it would make sense for the government to increase scrutiny on Line 3, as it has for TransCanada Corp’s Energy East project and Kinder Morgan’s TransMountain pipeline, since all of the reviews are ongoing and affect some of the same communities.
“It’s best for our new federal government and for all of the affected communities if they apply the principles to all the projects that are in the NEB process now,” she said. “That would mean that Line 3 still has the time to have the principles applied.”
The government said it introduced its tougher principles to restore public trust in reviews - trust that they say was damaged by changes introduced by the previous Conservative government. The new government said it would use public input to inform decisions and conduct “deeper consultations with Indigenous communities.”
The principles also call for the government to factor in its climate change commitments in pipeline reviews, while ensuring that decisions should be based on science, facts and evidence.
Investigative journalism has never been more important. Will you help?
SubscribeToday's must read
Welcome to fiery BC, Prime Minister. Why aren't you talking about climate?
'Illegal' immigrant comment draws boos and whistles at lively Quebec election skirmish
Four arrested at Kinder Morgan terminal as teen protester awaits sentencing
Ford government jettisons Hydro One board
François Legault borrows a page from Doug Ford and threatens to cancel Quebec wind project
We denounce Trump's ‘dirty war against the free press’
Canadian researchers want to build simulation tools to make buildings smarter and greener
Doug Ford government cuts Toronto city council in half
Ontario delays adoption of bill to officially cancel cap and trade
Kinder Morgan protester Jean Swanson gets ready for jail
Natan Obed re-elected as president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
WATCH: State of Emergency
How to protect your children from wildfire smoke
Mad Max loses his marbles over diversity
Tug carrying up to 22,000 litres of fuel capsizes in Fraser River off Vancouver
Two bison bulls wander out of Banff National Park a week after being released
Trudeau to hold retreat with newly shuffled cabinet in Nanaimo, B.C.
Orca's 'tour of grief' over after carrying dead calf around for nearly 3 weeks
Kinder Morgan executives get millions
Heiltsuk Nation says one per cent for "Aboriginal content" is unacceptable
One trillion litres of sewage leaked into lakes and rivers over last five years
Judge approves eviction of protesters from camp near pipeline construction site
Can Toronto save its city council from Doug Ford?
Jagmeet Singh is moving to Burnaby
Kamloopa Powwow highlights the beauty and strength of Indigenous cultures
Secret Kinder Morgan negotiations revealed in document
Spike Lee takes on the KKK, McQueen reveals a fashion rebel and Summer 1993 offers a rare look at childhood
Doug Ford's Indigenous affairs minister challenges Trudeau government to ensure First Nations have safe drinking water
Gasping for air in India’s industrial north
Terrified by ‘hothouse Earth’? Don’t despair — do something
To the ends of the Earth: the activists risking their lives to defend the environment
How I escaped a terrifying Greek wildfire
To California, the wildfires are tragic. To the Trump administration, they're convenient
Jimmy Kimmel on climate change: 'Somebody needs to get through to Trump'
Saudi students ordered to leave Canada within month
Why Trump is blaming California’s wildfires on water
Saudi Arabia goes back 23 years to troll about Canadian history and fails miserably
Trump proposes gutting fuel economy rules in ‘giant giveaway’ to big oil, automakers
Mexico sends hundreds of its firefighters to help battle Ontario blazes
Comments