At least 84 people were killed and 100 injured in the French city of Nice, when a truck ran into a crowd celebrating the Bastille Day national holiday on Thursday night, according to reports from Reuters and the Associated Press. France's Interior Ministry expects the death toll to rise.
The incident took place around 10:30 p.m. local time during a fireworks show on the Promenade des Anglais, a popular stretch of beach in the southern city.
French television channel BFM TV said the local prefecture was treating the incident as an attack and was asking people to stay at home. Later that night, President François Hollande announced that he would extend the state of emergency in place since the November 13, 2015 attacks in Paris. He also said that 10,000 soldiers patrolling the country's streets would continue to do so indefinitely and that 28,000 reservists would be called up as well.
The president of the Nice region Christian Estrosi informed that the truck used in this incident was loaded with arms and grenades. The driver, a Tunisian man who had been living in France for long as was known to police, was killed on site during an exchange of gunfire with police.
Le camion qui a foncé sur la foule pic.twitter.com/h4QuBabJMx— Nice-Matin (@Nice_Matin) July 14, 2016
Soon after the attack, people started sharing images on social media.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also expressed his condolences on Twitter.
Canadians are shocked by tonight's attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) July 14, 2016