Great journalism takes time and money.
The award-winning reporting team at National Observer is seeking a skilled multimedia journalist to work full-time in our Vancouver newsroom. We're looking for someone who is passionate not only about breaking Canadian news, but writing colourful, analytical stories that give our pieces an edge with readers who are looking for more than a regurgitation of daily press releases. We're looking for a critical thinker who is able to write with context and perspective on tight deadlines, and time permitting, take on larger public interest investigations that show our audience why independent Canadian journalism really matters in an era of Internet information overload.
If this sounds like you, we'd like to hear from you.
- Three years of newsroom experience in a major Canadian market
- Familiarity with CP style
- Proficiency in social media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, Google Analytics
- Basic photography, video, audio, and editing skills
- Strong understanding of Canadian federal politics and environmental issues in Canada
- Ability to integrate broad perspectives into local stories
- Proven ability to work in a high-stress, tight-deadline environment
- Availability to work flexible hours, with overtime as needed
- Excellent reporting and interviewing skills
- Must own laptop and preferably, a decent camera
- Bilingualism an asset, but not required
- Pitch meaningful, unique stories on current affairs in Canada and international affairs with Canadian perspective
- Complete newsroom assignments as required, including daily stories and longer, in-depth investigations
- Juggle multiple assignments while meeting deadlines
- Develop a strong network of sources in subject areas of interest, including politics and environmental issues
- Contribute as required to other newsroom operations, including fundraising, subscription drives, letter-writing, and editing
- Re-purpose and upload wire copy from Canadian Press and others
- Promote National Observer content daily through social media channels
Please send your resume, cover letter, and three samples of your written work to: [email protected]. Your cover letter should include a description of why you want to work for an independent media outlet. Due to the high volume of applications we expect to receive for this position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posting open until position is filled.
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Status: Full-time employee
Start Date: Immediately