Canada's National Observer has an exciting, entry-level position open in Ottawa!
If you're looking to cover climate change, climate mitigation, just transition, environmental justice, and the race to net zero, consider joining our dynamic, award-winning national team.
We're looking for Canada's top talent. You’re the right person for the job if you share our commitment to high journalistic and ethical standards, shine at working with people as well as words, and enjoy producing world-class journalism on climate change and the environment.
This is a full-time 1-year contract position based in Ottawa.
What you will do
Daily reporting: you will be expected to write daily stories, 5 days weekly.
Your stories will keep Canadians informed on what the government is doing (or not) about climate change.
You will also cover efforts towards a just transition, the race to net zero and environmental protections from the perspective of the federal government. We are looking for enthusiastic self-starters who want to make a difference through the practice of journalism in the public interest.
Required background and journalistic skills
- 1-2 years of experience reporting for a daily news organization
- Degree in journalism
- Knowledge of federal government processes
- Excellent writing and communication
- Fact-checking, research and interviewing skills
Pluses for us are:
- Ottawa contacts and resources
- A keen eye for how to package a story so that it connects with readers
- SEO knowledge
- Ability to write quickly
- Talented at writing headlines that resonate with audiences
- Ability to turn in clean copy
- Forethought to visuals and an eye for visually compelling stories
- Positive attitude
- Compassionate and empathetic
- Good communication skills
Starting salary is $54,000 annually
- Medical and dental health benefits package
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter through our online application portal. Applications without well-considered cover letters will not be reviewed.
Your cover letter should address:
- Why Canada's National Observer?
- Your experience and major accomplishments as a journalist
- A particular issue area or type of journalistic initiative you would be excited about working on at Canada’s National Observer
Position open until September 21, 2021
Help shape the future of Canadian media. Working alongside the team at Canada’s National Observer you will help grow subscriptions to create a strong revenue stream that will support CNO’s pivotal reporting on the climate crisis, climate solutions and the critical human rights issues of our times.
For more than a decade, Canada’s National Observer has led the digital re-invention of Canadian media, driven the national conversation on energy and climate change, and made history as the first all-digital publication to win a National Newspaper Award and a Michener Award citation.
If you are interested in the operations and business side of journalism and digital media, join the collaborative team at Canada’s National Observer and work remotely in an intellectually stimulating environment.
CNO is seeking a dynamic individual to be an Administrative Assistant reporting to Subscription Acquisition and Support Manager, Janel Johnson. This is a position which has lots of room for growth in a rapidly expanding company.
As Administrative Assistant you will support CNO's operations and subscriptions teams using:
- Mailchimp, newsletter and communications email platform
- Piano, our subscription platform where you’ll track subscription analytics, optimize the various aspects of subscriber communications and provide customer support for subscribers
- Zendesk, CNO’s customer support platform where you’ll liaise with subscribers
- CNO’s Drupal Content Management System (CMS)
- Google Ad Sense for posting display ads to the site
- Google Analytics for tracking analytics on various stories
- Facebook, twitter and Instagram analytics for tracking analytics and doing posting on social media
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills
- Organized, meticulous and good at record-keeping
- Interested in operations, the world of digital subscriptions and advertising
- Familiar with Google Suite and proficient in using Excel and Google spreadsheets
- Comfortable working with numbers and basic data
- Passionate about high quality online journalism and rigorous coverage of climate and human rights issues.
You’ll learn about the operations needs for digital media while interacting with our community of subscribers, donors and advertisers. You’ll gain a great perspective on the media landscape in Canada and the world.
This is an opportunity to be part of a diverse team that’s reshaping journalism in Canada and positively impacting the future. Be at the centre of where news happens.
This is a full time position. To apply upload your resume and cover letter explaining why you'd like to work at CNO here. Deadline for applications is September 15th.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in working for Canada’s National Observer.