Great journalism takes time and money.
National Observer is searching for a tireless and tenacious reporter, based in Ontario, to help expand our coverage and deliver more hard-hitting investigations.
The position will start as a one-year contract with the reporter dedicated to a special investigation, starting on Feb. 1, 2017.
If you live in Ottawa or Toronto and have some knowledge and experience covering governments, this job could be for you. And here are some of the other things we're looking for:
- At least three years of experience working for a major news organization or magazine
- Strong talent as a researcher and as a writer, a love of language,exceptional storytelling skills and excellent reporting, as evidenced in your body of work
- A keen interest in environmental issues, the energy sector, climate change and government oversight of industry, as well as a sense of topics that can expand beyond our niche
- Strong interviewing skills
- The capacity to dig up evidence that isn't always easy to find
- A belief that feedback makes your writing stronger, an ability to work as part of a virtual team: independent and collaborative
- Pleasant personality, upbeat attitude, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Serious love of journalism and belief in the power of storytelling
Here's what we're looking for in your clips:
- An ability to craft compelling stories with dramatic leads and a strong narrative arc
- A strong, distinct voice
- Solid research, original reporting, network of sources who trust you
- A sense of how to reach a wide audience with essential stories that are urgent to the public interest
- Visual storytelling strength through photography and video is a huge plus
- Willingness to move between news and analysis or opinion, to use your voice in your reporting not all of the time, but some of the time
- Strong video and photography skills
- Strength in writing headlines
- Large social media following
- Interest in what makes stories go viral and nimbleness in trying new things to get this to happen
Salary is competitive in keeping with industry standards and experience of applicant.
To apply write: [email protected] with a cover letter explaining why you would like to join National Observer's team, resume, and three links to stories.
We will be in touch with you if we would like to follow up with an interview, but we can't respond to all applicants. Thank you to everyone for your interest in this position. If you live in Toronto and are interested in freelance assignments, please contact us as well.
Deadline: November 30, 2016.