Help shape the future of the National Observer in Canada. We're leveraging the tools of today to shape the journalism of tomorrow. Join one of Canada's leading teams of talented business and journalism professionals and help us engage more meaningfully with a wider, more diverse audience. We are a Bcorporation and put a premium on social impact, sustainability and public service journalism.
National Observer's number one priority over the next year is to double subscriptions. Leveraging daily investigations and special reports, analyzing customer data, understanding the needs of the audience, and building products around National Observer's journalism is at the core of this position. Conversion and retention are the key goals.
Join Observer Media Group's brilliant team at Canada's leading online-only media company and help us scale up. Observer Media Group is a B Corporation and owner of National Observer, an award-winning online-only daily news publication and magazine focused on energy, the environment and climate, as well as related social issues and stories about Canadians making a difference.
Must have at least 3 out of 5 of the top requirements to apply:
- 3-5 years experience in driving acquisition, retention and sales, or fundraising, at a media company or a non profit or related business
Agile with data
- Able to provide clear reports that track and analyze trends, illuminate gaps
Excellent writer with a clear voice. Witty, insightful. Immersed in Canadian and U.S. news. Values quality, organization, and accuracy
- Knowledgeable about news industry and eager to read about industry trends
Experience with Facebook, Google, Twitter ad placement
Hard working, and committed. Team player, but also not afraid to lead
- Respectful, considerate, upbeat, outgoing
Self-motivated, high achiever, detail-oriented and creative
- Working directly with the CEO and Executive Editor, you will create subscription acquisition plan, design ads, write copy and management ad placement on Facebook, Google and Twitter that leads to newsletter sign-ups and subscriptions.
- You will be responsible for providing weekly reports and analytics on sales, retention ad performance.
- You will create and manage the creation of strong, consistent, engaging communications for National Observer’s newsletters, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages with the goal of building audience loyalty and engagement and bringing on new subscribers.
- You will stay up on what's being published on National Observer as well as the latest news and trends in other media and social media in National Observer's focus areas.
- You will work on tight deadlines and be expected to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You will leverage National Observer's powerful reporting and help connect it with audiences.
Apply with resume and cover letter explaining why you want to work for National Observer. Be sure to give your cover letter thought. That's an important part of your application. Tell us who you are and why this position looks interesting to you. Tell us what you think of the publication and what you bring to this job.
Email to Janel Johnson, [email protected]
FTE: Starts at $60,000 annual range, with bi-annual bonuses for meeting sales targets. Applicants must be Vancouver-based and work in our Gastown office.
Observer Media Group is Canada's top digital-only publication. Since 2009, the company has been at the cutting edge of innovation. It has been changing history through investigative and solutions reporting, giving audiences the information they need to improve communities and protect democracy. Our inspired, talented and ambitious team produces journalism that reveals, informs, engages and empowers people to build the future they want. We're growing and looking for the top talent in Canada to join us.
Thank you for your interest in this position, but we will only reply to those who we plan to interview. Position open until filled.