Ready to land your dream job?
National Observer is hiring for executive level business management, reporting and sales jobs.
Observer Media Group is one of Canada's fiercest watchdogs. Since 2009, the company has been changing history through investigative and solutions reporting, giving audiences the information they need to improve communities and protect democracy. Our inspired, talented and ambitious team produces journalism that reveals, informs, engages and empowers people to build the future they want. With offices in Vancouver and Ottawa, and reporters nationwide, we've got Canada covered. Contact [email protected] to learn more about the following postings:
Investigative Reporter Vancouver
National Observer is searching for a tireless and tenacious investigative reporter, based in Vancouver,* to help expand our coverage and deliver more hard-hitting investigations.
This job is scheduled to begin on March 15, 2018.
Here's what we're looking for:
- At least three years of experience working for a major news outlet
- Strong talent as a researcher and as a journalist, a love of language, exceptional storytelling skills and excellent reporting, as evidenced in your body of work
- A keen interest in reporting on and investigating a wide range of issues. This includes the energy and resources sectors, government oversight of industry, climate change, Indigenous rights, equity and harassment issues in the workplace and sexual assault
- Strong interviewing skills
- The capacity to dig up evidence that isn't always easy to find
- Experience and skills at using freedom of information laws to support reporting
- An ability to work as part of a team and collaborate as well as an ability to work independently when needed
- Desire to be a part of an emerging media outlet with ideas to promote better audience engagement and outreach
- Strong social media skills
- Serious love of journalism
Here's what we're looking for in your portfolio:
- An ability to craft compelling stories with dramatic leads and a strong narrative arc
- A strong, distinct voice
- Solid research, original reporting, network of sources who trust you
- A sense of how to reach a wide audience with essential stories that are urgent to the public interest
- Visual storytelling strength through photography and video is a huge plus
- Strong video and photography skills
- Strength in writing headlines
Salary is competitive in keeping with industry standards and experience of applicant.
To apply write: Mike De Souza with a cover letter explaining why you would like to join National Observer's team, resume, and three links to stories.
We will be in touch with you if we would like to follow up with an interview, but we can't respond to all applicants. Thank you to everyone for your interest in this position. If you live in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal, Calgary, and other Canadian cities and are interested in freelance assignments, please contact us as well.
Deadline: Feb. 28, 2018.
*Note: Applications are now closed for Ottawa and Toronto Reporters.
Business Operations Manager
An exciting new position is opening at National Observer at the executive level: business operations manager.
This job is at the centre of our organizational structure. The best fit would be a person with experience in running online campaigns for a political organization or a non profit, but also MBAs, CPAs and other financial professionals with a facility for achieving ambitious sales goals are encouraged to apply. You must live in Vancouver to be considered for this position.
Journalism across the world is in a state of profound transformation. The advertising business model that media companies thrived on for decades is on the brink of collapse. Facebook and Google now attract the majority of online advertising spend and are only expected to grow their dominance, leaving news organizations scrambling for new ways to pay for in-depth reporting, while trying to compete for eyeballs with cheap click bait content.
But here's the exciting part. Our experience shows that once people read our reporting and work, we can achieve success in converting these readers to subscribers. As readers continue to subscribe, you will help us transform National Observer into a profitable, reader-funded operation that is robust enough to publish independent, hard-hitting investigative and solutions journalism, in-depth features that inspire and inform and analysis that provokes conversation and action. Over the next two years, with your help, that's what we we will do.
With offices in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver, and reporters across the nation, we've got Canada covered.
- The business operations manager will manage the sales team, insuring quotas are met and that our relationship with our readers grows every day.
- Managing growth of the paying subscriber base,monthly budgets, and responsibility for constantly updating the business plan and annual projections are central to this position.
- Meeting ambitious monthly and quarterly targets to grow paying subscriber base.
- Define, develop and oversee execution of National Observer’s digital marketing vision and strategy in collaboration with the CEO.
- Oversee outsourced jobs and insure contractors are delivering.
- Work with the paywall software system and National Observer's lists and customer relationship software
- Establish, maintain and report on key performance indicators relevant to digital marketing programs.
- Financial management and oversight.
- Create and update business plans, lead monthly budget meetings, annual forecasting.
- Immersion in data and analytics and an ability to communicate numbers clearly back to team,
- Participating in online advertising sales, group subscription sales and sponsorship sales.
- Produce proposals and reports and make presentations to stakeholders.
Required experience, skills and knowledge include:
- Experience in business management for a political organization, media company, or relevant non profit in managing list building, digital fundraising and conversion
- Exceptional and established leadership skills including strategic capability, attention to detail, and the ability to set priorities and maintain focus;
- Self-motivated, high achiever, entrepreneurial mindset, and the ability to work with a strong team;
- Knowledgeable about digital marketing strategies and tools such as SEO, Twitter analytics, Facebook analytics and Google analytics;
- Demonstrated excellent business judgment/instincts and an understanding of the role and importance of sales measurement;
- MBA, CPA, Advanced Degree in Statistics, or a minimum of 8 years experience in related job a plus
- The National Observer hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. English is the official language used at National Observer.
Position: Full Time, Permanent Employee
Compensation: $70,000 to $80,000 range + quarterly bonuses for achieving sales goals
Please send resume with cover letter explaining why you want to work for National Observer to [email protected]
We will only be replying to candidates we wish to interview for the position but we appreciate your interest in the job.
You know the art of selling and we're building a national sales team with representatives in Toronto and Ottawa. National Observer is Canada's leading daily news publication focusing on climate, the environment and politics.
Become a valued member of National Observer's growing team of progressive, innovative journalists and media professionals. Help build a profitable business that delivers daily social impact along with annual profitability.
We have a position waiting for an upbeat, warm, sophisticated sales person, who is detail-oriented and collaborative, a professional with the skills and capacity to help our organization grow.
Through our stunning multi-media platform or article pages, we offer aligned brands video, photographic and storytelling excellence. Draw upon our track record of sponsored content to interest new companies, non profits and charities in taking advantage of all our award-winning team has to offer.
Our editors, writers, communications director and social media strategist will be supporting your efforts by working closely with clients to produce high quality content that reflects their mission or brand. Support will be provided in monitoring campaigns, promoting campaigns through our extensive social media channels, and providing clients with performance reports.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, a thought leader in the digital space, who loves people, and is a strong storyteller and presenter.
Five years minimum experience in media (or related) sales and a track record of success is required to apply for this job.
- Demonstrated ability to understand National Observer's editorial content and client needs + successfully merge the two to tell a clear, compelling story
- 5+ years experience in digital advertising/marketing as a creative director, account director, or brand strategist
- Strong writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Proven ability to thrive independently and work as a team player
- Strong networking skills
- Honest, transparent, positive
- Create new opportunities for brands to work with National Observer
- Build our client list and sell projects in the area of sponsored journalism, 'branded content' or 'advertorial'
- Attend key client/agency meetings to better understand needs and challenge
- Meet established sales targets
- Work with National Observer team to under promise and over deliver on packages
Apply with resume and cover letter explaining why a career with National Observer is right for you. Send to [email protected]
Candidates who are selected for an interview must be prepared to create a sales proposal and make a presentation to our team demonstrating your skills.
We will only respond to applications from people we would like to interview. But thank you to all for your interest in working with us.
Hiring in Toronto, Vancouver and Ottawa.
Open until all positions are filled.