For more than a decade, Observer Media Group has led the digital re-invention of Canadian media, driven the national conversation on energy and climate change, and made history as the first all-digital publication to win a National Newspaper Award and a MichenerAward citation. And our Integrity Reporting Project has placed us at the center of Canada’s battle against online misinformation and electoral manipulation.
Now we seek a talented reporter with significant experience to join National Observer's team. Based in Toronto, you will help produce our next phase of groundbreaking journalism and growth. You’re the right person for the job if you share our commitment to the highest journalistic and ethical standards, shine at researching complex topics as well as crafting words, and enjoy the fast-paced environment of a rapidly growing news organization.
Job to begin Jan. 5, 2020. Accepting applications through November 20.
- At least three years of experience working for a major news outlet
- Talent as a researcher and writer with strong body of journalistic work
- A keen interest in reporting on and investigating a wide range of issues. This includes the energy and resources sectors, government oversight of industry, climate change, Indigenous rights, disinformation and threats to democracy
- Strong interviewing skills, including strong accountability interviewing skills
- The capacity to dig up information and evidence that isn't always easy to find
- Experience and skills at using freedom of information laws to support reporting
- Experience with data journalism an asset
- Experience with rigorous fact checking and sourcing
- An ability to work as part of a team and collaborate as well as an ability to work independently when needed
- Desire to be a part of an emerging media outlet with ideas to promote better audience engagement and outreach
- Strong social media skills
Here's what we're looking for in your portfolio:
- An ability to craft compelling stories with dramatic leads and a strong narrative arc
- A strong, distinct voice
- Solid research, original reporting, network of sources who trust you
- A sense of how to reach a wide audience with essential stories that are urgent to the public interest
- Visual-storytelling strength through photography and video is a huge plus
- Original ideas
- Strong video and photography skills
Salary is competitive, in keeping with industry standards and experience of applicant.
To apply: send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you would like to join National Observer's team to our online application portal. Please include three links to stories.
We can only respond to those we will be contacting for an interview, but thank you to everyone for your interest.