Winner National Newspaper Awards' Mary Ann Shadd Cary award for columns for Karyn Pugliese's writing on history of residential schools (tba May 6)
Finalist alongside The Globe and Mail and CBC for the Canadian Journalism Foundation's Climate Solutions Reporting award for Race Against Climate Change podcast.
Nominated for National Newspaper Awards' John Wesley Dafoe Award for Politics for 'Friends with Benefits' (a collaborative investigation with Toronto Star) on influence of developers on Doug Ford and the Greenbelt (tba May 6)
Honourable Mention at Canadian Hillman Prize award for 'fearless journalism' for 'Friends with Benefits' (with Toronto Star)
Nominated for top award in large media category, Jackman Awards for Excellence in Journalism, Canadian Journalism Foundation, with Institute for Investigative Journalism and collaborators across Canada for 'Clean Water, Broken Promises' series on the fight for clean drinking water in First Nations communities.
- Jack Webster Foundation’s Environmental Reporting Award nomination for Marc Fawcett-Atkinson’s investigative series on the plastics industry's influence on government
- Canadian Association of Journalism: Canada's National Observer Deputy Editor David McKie takes prestigious Bury Award in recognition of his 'pioneering work in the field of computer-assisted reporting/data journalism in Canada over the past several decades in newsrooms and classrooms across the country.' Co-recipient Fred Vallance-Jones.
- Canadian Association of Journalism nomination with Vice for Best Photojournalism (Jesse Winter)
- Webster Awards finalist: Sandy Garossino for Best Column in British Columbia
- Governor General’s Michener Awards citation for journalism in the public interest for collaborative investigation on water
Canadian Online Publishing Awards:
Canadian Association of Journalists
- Best Emerging Indigenous Reporting: Emilee Gilpin
- Finalist, Canadian Journalism Foundation Jackman Award for Excellence in Journalism, 'The Price of Oil'
- Silver, Best News Coverage: Digital Publishing Awards, 'Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline in Canada'
- Carl Meyer: Daily Excellence
- Emily Gilpin: Emerging Indigenous Journalist
- Mike De Souza Online Media Investigative Reporting
- Canadian Committee: World Press Freedom Honourable Mention to Mike De Souza at 2018 awards ceremony
- Hillman Foundation: Honourable Mention for Price of Oil series
- Finalists, Digital Publishing Awards: General Excellence in Digital Publishing for Small Publications
- Emerge Media Award to the Film Crude Power
- Finalist, Canadian Journalism Foundation 'Jackman Award': Price of Oil series
- Finalist, RTDNA (Radio, Television, Digital News Association): Price of Oil series
- Finalist, Investigative Reporters and Editors Association: Film Crude Power
- Winner of National Newspaper Award for Business Reporting: Bruce Livesey, House of Irving. First online publication to win an NNA
- Finalist, Michener Award for Meritorious Public Service Journalism. Energy East Pipeline, The Charest Affair
- Winner, Canadian Association of Journalists for Outstanding Investigative Journalism. Energy East Pipeline, The Charest Affair
- Winner of the Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals' Clements Award: Elizabeth McSheffrey
Finalists, Canadian Association of Journalists:
- Online Media: Joshua Hergesheimer
- Online Media: Elizabeth McSheffrey
- Scoop: Staff Reporters
- Winner of the Vancouver Board of Trade's Entrepreneurial Innovation Award: Linda Solomon Wood
- Winner, Canadian Journalism Foundation: Excellence in Journalism for Local Media, Vancouver Observer
- Finalist, Canadian Journalism Foundation: Excellence in Journalism for Small Media, Vancouver Observer
- Winner, Canadian Journalism Foundation: Excellence in Journalism for Small Media, Vancouver Observer
- Finalist, Canadian Online Publishing Awards: Best Online-Only Article
Winner, Canadian Online Publishing Awards: